- Performance (50%)6.5
- Design (20%)6.0
- Ease of Use (30%)8.3
- Performance (50%)6.7
- Design (20%)8.7
- Ease of Use (30%)9.5
Both the DASH DMW001AQ Mini and the BLACK+DECKER WMB500 are in the budget-friendly range, but for entirely different reasons.
The DASH Mini, being a mini waffle maker that’s no larger than a softball, is cheap by design. The small form factor is less complicated and costly to manufacture. The DASH Mini cooks bite-sized waffles about 4 inches across, making it an excellent snack-making machine.
Meanwhile, the BLACK+DECKER WMB500 is a full-size waffle maker that’s purposely designed and built to be as cheap as possible. This is evidenced in the simplistic design that’s quite barebone in terms of features. Like most Belgian-style waffle makers, the WMB500 cooks 7-inch waffles that are ideal for breakfasts and other meals.
The cooking performances of both models are great. The waffles weren’t spectacularly delicious, but they weren’t bad or inedible, either. For breakfasts, light meals, and snacks, both models’ waffles will do just fine.
In the end, it mostly comes down to whether you would want a small and compact waffle maker (the DASH Mini) or a full-size model (BLACK+DECKER WMB500)!
Pros & Cons
- Does a decent job at making pre-mixed waffles
- The waffle plates’ non-stick layer works well
- Easy to use ‘plug-and-play’ design
- Great cleanability
- Affordable pricing
- Decent cooking performance across both test recipes
- Good-looking stainless steel baking chamber
- The lid can dampen the force of a strong push, preventing the lid from accidentally snapping close to the user’s hand
- The non-stick coating on the waffle plates works very well
- Excellent safety rating
- Unremarkable performance in the self-mixed recipe test
- Relatively slow cooking speed
- Thin layer of paint that can be easily scratched
- Many safety issues
- Lacks control panel
- The stainless steel baking chamber needs regular cleaning to look its best
Where to Buy?
*You help support HealthyKitchen101's product testing and reviews by purchasing from our retail partners.
Birch Benders Mix
In The Box
Indicator Light Visibility
Was this page helpful?
Behind the Comparison
Matthew Lee is a writer and editor for HealthyKitchen101. With over 8 years working for various outlets and agencies, specializing in tech review and other subjects of note, such as current affairs.
Lap is Head of the Research, Testing, and Review Team (RTR Team) at HealthyKitchen101.com, where he directs and supervises the testing of kitchen gadgets and appliances.
Tuyet Pham is an award-winning Saigonese chef passionate about delicious and healthful foods. At HealthyKitchen101, she develops recipes and collaborates with our Research, Testing, and Review lab to evaluate the performance of cooking appliances. Her assessments add a strong authoritative voice to our product scoring process.