The Klein Tools IR1 is one of the top-performing infrared thermometers on our list. It has received a solid 7.9 out of 10 in our benchmark tests. Not only does it deliver great performance, but its design is also impressive. It is rugged enough to be used in industrial sites.
However, there is one issue with its usability. The sole control button, used to switch between °F and °C, is hidden behind a screwed-in panel and the batteries. This means that you must use a screwdriver whenever you need to change the measurement unit or replace the batteries. This can be quite inconvenient and sets it apart from other models.
On the other hand, while the Kizen LaserPro LP300 is not as accurate as the Klein Tools IR1, it still has its merits. It scored 5.2 in our benchmark tests, primarily due to its underperformance in the hot test with cooking oil. However, in terms of design and usability, the Kizen performs admirably. It shares the same rugged design as the Klein Tools IR1 and offers excellent usability.
Considering everything, we recommend the Klein Tools IR1 over the Kizen despite its minor drawbacks due to its superior accuracy.
Pros & Cons
- Quite affordable for what it is
- Solid build quality
- Laser emitter is bright and can be easily tracked
- Display panel is decently bright and data points can be easily read in many conditions (under studio lighting, in the dark, etc.)
- Handle is indented and textured for easier gripping
- Loud speaker
- Rugged, industrial-grade design
- Quality IR sensor provides decently accurate readings
- Bright laser emitter
- Bright backlit LCD display panel
- Mediocre measurement accuracy
- Doesn’t have many measurement mode
- The backlight can’t be turned off
- Doesn’t come with any extra measurement mode
- The measurement unit switch and battery are hidden behind a screwed-in door
Where to Buy
*You help support HealthyKitchen101's product testing and reviews by purchasing from our retail partners.
Analysis and Test Results
Cold Test with Ice
Hot Test with Cooking Oil
In the Box
Behind the Comparison
Matthew Lee is a writer and editor for HealthyKitchen101. With over 8 years working for various outlets and agencies, specializing in tech review and other subjects of note, such as current affairs.
Lap is Head of the Research, Testing, and Review Team (RTR Team) at HealthyKitchen101.com, where he directs and supervises the testing of kitchen gadgets and appliances.
Nguyen Ntk is a graphic designer, photographer, and videographer whose philosophy centers around respecting and celebrating the beauty of reality. Through his lenses, Nguyen strives to capture the true essence of objects and events, showcasing and highlighting authentic features without distortion or exaggeration.