The Etekcity Lasergrip 800 sets itself apart from other models in our database with its impressive 16:1 distance-to-spot (D:S) ratio. This means it can measure accurately from a greater distance than most other IR thermometers, typically having ratios of 12:1 or 10:1.
Now, let's talk about its performance in our tests. The Etekcity Lasergrip 800 scores 7.0 out of 10, while the Klein Tools IR1 scores higher at 7.9. We tested both thermometers from distances of 12 inches and 16 inches.
The Klein Tools IR1 scores 8.3, while the Etekcity scores 7.0. The Etekcity's battery compartment door is slightly loose, which explains its lower score than the Klein Tools IR1.
In terms of usability, both models receive low scores as they lack any extra measurement modes and do not include a sound speaker.
If you need an infrared thermometer that excels at measuring accurately from a distance, the Etekcity Lasergrip 800 is worth considering. However, if overall accuracy is your main priority, you'll be happier with the Klein Tools IR1. Additionally, the Klein Tools IR1 also offers a more robust design.
Pros & Cons
- Rugged, industrial-grade design
- Quality IR sensor provides decently accurate readings
- Bright laser emitter
- Bright backlit LCD display panel
- A 16:1 distance-to-spot (D:S) ratio, which allows the user to measure objects from farther distances.
- Bright laser emitter.
- The display panel is brightly lit and readable even under harsh studio lighting.
- Battery is included and already installed when taken out of the box.
- Doesn’t come with any extra measurement mode
- The measurement unit switch and battery are hidden behind a screwed-in door
- Don’t come with any extra measurement mode.
- Loose battery compartment door.
- Don’t have any speaker or audio cues.
Where to Buy
*You help support HealthyKitchen101's product testing and reviews by purchasing from our retail partners.
Analysis and Test Results
Cold Test with Ice
Hot Test with Cooking Oil
In the Box
Behind the Comparison
Matthew Lee is a writer and editor for HealthyKitchen101. With over 8 years working for various outlets and agencies, specializing in tech review and other subjects of note, such as current affairs.
Lap is Head of the Research, Testing, and Review Team (RTR Team) at HealthyKitchen101.com, where he directs and supervises the testing of kitchen gadgets and appliances.