When comparing the Sovarcate HS960D and the Etekcity LaserGrip 800, it's important to note that the latter offers higher measurement accuracy. Our benchmark awards the Etekcity a commendable total performance score of 7.0, surpassing the HS960D's score of 6.7.
Beyond accuracy, the Etekcity LaserGrip 800's superior D:S (distance-to-spot) ratio is worth considering. With a ratio of 16:1 compared to the Sovarcate's 12:1, the Etekcity enables precise measurements from a greater distance.
However, in terms of design and usability, the Etekcity thermometer falls short compared to the Sovarcate. The Sovarcate boasts a colored LCD screen and a more vibrant and intricate 13-point laser emitter. Additionally, while both thermometers exhibit rugged build quality, the Sovarcate HS980E receives a higher score thanks to its use of superior materials.
Usability is an area where the Etekcity LaserGrip 800 lags behind the Sovarcate HS960D. Its irregularly shaped handle makes it less comfortable to hold and lacks additional measurement modes, significantly limiting its applications. Furthermore, it lacks a speaker, which further diminishes its functionality.
In contrast, our reviewer reported that the Sovarcate HS960D provides a comfortable grip even during prolonged use, offers an additional measurement mode, and includes a speaker for added convenience.
If you prioritize measurement accuracy and desire a higher D:S ratio, the Etekcity LaserGrip 800 is suitable. However, if you seek durability and versatility, the Sovarcate HS960D is an excellent option that should not be overlooked.
Pros & Cons
- Decently accurate and reliable performance
- Rugged and well-built housing
- Bright, single-dot laser emitter
- Brightly-lit colored LCD VA screen panel
- Has a speaker
- Textured handgrip and tactile trigger make the thermometer easy and comfortable to use
- A 16:1 distance-to-spot (D:S) ratio, which allows the user to measure objects from farther distances.
- Bright laser emitter.
- The display panel is brightly lit and readable even under harsh studio lighting.
- Battery is included and already installed when taken out of the box.
- Doesn’t come with many measurement modes
- Don’t come with any extra measurement mode.
- Loose battery compartment door.
- Don’t have any speaker or audio cues.
Where to Buy
*You help support HealthyKitchen101's product testing and reviews by purchasing from our retail partners.
Analysis and Test Results
Cold Test with Ice
Hot Test with Cooking Oil
In the Box
Behind the Comparison
Matthew Lee is a writer and editor for HealthyKitchen101. With over 8 years working for various outlets and agencies, specializing in tech review and other subjects of note, such as current affairs.
Lap is Head of the Research, Testing, and Review Team (RTR Team) at HealthyKitchen101.com, where he directs and supervises the testing of kitchen gadgets and appliances.
Nguyen Ntk is a graphic designer, photographer, and videographer whose philosophy centers around respecting and celebrating the beauty of reality. Through his lenses, Nguyen strives to capture the true essence of objects and events, showcasing and highlighting authentic features without distortion or exaggeration.