Right from the start, it's evident that the Klein Tools IR1 is the superior choice between the two options. Not only does it have a higher performance score according to our benchmark (7.9 compared to the Etekcity Lasergrip 1080's 4.1 out of 10), but it also boasts one of the most rugged and well-built designs.
Although its usability score suffers due to the battery compartment and the sole control switch being concealed behind a screwed-in panel, the Klein Tools IR1 remains one of the top infrared thermometers in our database.
On the other hand, the Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 falls short with a low performance score and only average ratings for design and usability. Our benchmark rates it at 7.3 and 5.55, respectively.
Pros & Cons
- Rugged, industrial-grade design
- Quality IR sensor provides decently accurate readings
- Bright laser emitter
- Bright backlit LCD display panel
- The handle is textured and has indents that improve the user’s grip
- Doesn’t come with any extra measurement mode
- The measurement unit switch and battery are hidden behind a screwed-in door
- Poor accuracy on the hot test with cooking oil
- Metallic clicky sound in the trigger seems to suggest a manufacturing defect
Where to Buy
*You help support HealthyKitchen101's product testing and reviews by purchasing from our retail partners.
Analysis and Test Results
Cold Test with Ice
Hot Test with Cooking Oil
In the Box
Behind the Comparison
Matthew Lee is a writer and editor for HealthyKitchen101. With over 8 years working for various outlets and agencies, specializing in tech review and other subjects of note, such as current affairs.
Lap is Head of the Research, Testing, and Review Team (RTR Team) at HealthyKitchen101.com, where he directs and supervises the testing of kitchen gadgets and appliances.
Nguyen Ntk is a graphic designer, photographer, and videographer whose philosophy centers around respecting and celebrating the beauty of reality. Through his lenses, Nguyen strives to capture the true essence of objects and events, showcasing and highlighting authentic features without distortion or exaggeration.