I love food! From time to time I adore treating myself with something sweet. So I was over the moon when I found this soft-baked style peanut butter cookie recipe. A straightforward cookie recipe that calls for no other frills than peanut butter. Yes, you heard that right.
Ain’t Cookies Supposed To Be Thin Hard?
Well, they were – at least all these times that I’m struggling, aging.
Okay sounds a bit extra, but that’s pivotal. I’ve grown up with thin, crisp cookies and had never really thought about how cookies are at their best when they’re a little softer. This discovery has honestly led me to become a little bit hysterical.
Holy cow, the journey I have been on! – all of a sudden, every thin hard cookie just became too crumbly, too stale, too friable for me to handle. If I had grown up with cookies this soft, I would have never have succumbed to gooey choco candy bars!
Just Peanut Butter!
From this point on, no matter where I am, I will always get restless for this sweet treat. It’s solid, yet super mellow and melting. These peanut butter cookies are chewy and tender enough to be oh so tempting. Even with the softness, there’s somehow still enough crinkly texture on the top edges to give contrast and satisfaction.
The possibilities for extra flavor are indeed endless, yet no chips or sprinkles or special stuffing is a must-have to bring forth the very genuine peanut butter taste. Its notable softness is given through the addition of creamy peanut butter, vanilla and egg. Simple-makes-perfect it is.
An Instant Appetizer, Anywhere, Anytime
So I’ve seen people bringing cookies to their bachelorette parties. I myself haven’t ever had one, but the one that sticks out in my mind was a balcony feast: table side guac, summer slow jams, flip-flops, camo cargo shorts, self podcast. We didn’t have enough candles but pretended like we were laying on the lawn.
That is just to say, peanut butter cookies are enough to be the star of the show at my bachelorette party (like, if I ever had one). Or I might say – any cookies will be good for the wing-ding part, but these heavenly peanut butter things would be my top choice.
This sweet deal is an appetizer in a nutshell. You can always throw some out for backyard chills, Christmas smorgasbords, or just eat them straight out because you’re in the mood.
Sounds all good, right?
Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup unsalted peanut butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a clean bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat unsalted butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar by using an electric mixer. Beat on low for 5 minutes or until the butter is fluffy and pale in color.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to the butter. Continue to mix for another 5 minutes or until the egg disappears into the butter.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter and beat on low. You can use a spatula to mix the flour into butter if you find it easier for you. You should end up with a rather thick batter.
- Using a tablespoon, take out balls of dough and place them on the lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart from one another.
- Press the fork tines twice on each dough ball to flatten the cookies while making a hashtag-like pattern. (this step is optional)
- Place the tray in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to firm up (or 30 minutes in the fridge).
- Preheat the oven at least 10 minutes before baking.
- Put the cookie tray in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Once the time is up, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container and they’re all good for the next 2 weeks.
- A refreshing glass of milk or sweet raspberry smoothie would possibly go just right with peanut butter cookies.