What type of bread requires no yeast, no resting time and can be ready in 30 minutes? Honey butter biscuits, of course.
These easy-to-bake honey butter biscuits are light, moist, fluffy, and buttery. Dazzle your family members and guests as you bring a basket of these to your dinner table at the next holiday meal, and prepare to be showered with compliments.
What Is An American Biscuit?
An American biscuit is a form of baked goods made with flour, butter, buttermilk, baking powder and baking soda. They are a type of side dish that is usually paired with fried chicken and gravy, or with jam.
Try not to mistake them with British biscuits. Despite having the same name, British and American biscuits are two different things. The former are sweet treats that look similar to cookies and crackers, while the latter tend to be on the savory side and look a bit like scones.
What’s the difference between biscuits and scones?
Scones are a type of sweet treat that is popular in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. They are generally less buttery than American biscuits and are usually served as a dessert for afternoon tea time where you later spread more butter and jam onto them. Unlike American biscuits that are usually round, scones can sometimes have a triangular shape. In addition to that, they can be made with oatmeal and packed with all kinds of dried fruits.
Biscuits, on the other hand, are widely famous in the US and Canada as a side dish for lunch or dinner, or as the star of everybody’s favorite breakfast: biscuits and gravy. Biscuits are also loved for their versatility. You can cut them in half and smear jam or honey butter onto them, or dip them into any sauce or gravy of choice.
Honey butter biscuits are great as a filling side dish for lunch or dinner. My favorite way to eat honey butter biscuits is to sandwich a piece of fried chicken in-between. The combination of sweet biscuits and savory, crunchy, juicy chicken is just heavenly to me. Unhealthy? Possibly. Let’s find out!
How Many Calories Are In A Honey Butter Biscuit?
If you’re making honey butter biscuits according to my recipe, there should be about 169 calories in a single biscuit. You can look in the nutrition facts table at the end of the article for more details.
169 calories per biscuit isn’t much, but if you’re eating it with fried chicken, that’s a whole different story. You see, a piece of fried chicken can have about 388 calories per 100 grams. The chicken is fatty and high in cholesterol, while the biscuit is high in carbs. Overall, they can’t be of any benefit to your health.
If you want some fried food with your biscuits without the unhealthy element, however, try these baked zucchini fries. They’re baked in the oven which will definitely cut down a tremendous amount of excess fat. That way, you won’t have to worry about getting fat and forcing yourself to get a new membership at the gym.
That said, I still think biscuits and fried chicken make for a perfect occasional indulgence, especially when you slather them with loads of that honey butter sauce.
How Do You Make Honey Butter Sauce?
The recipe for this sauce is ridiculously simple. I usually use the same portion of honey and butter; for example, ¼ cup of honey and ¼ cup of butter. But if that’s too sweet for you, you can cut it down to ⅛ cup of honey instead.
Now, in order to make honey butter sauce, you can just whisk softened butter and honey together with a fork until combined. But what I like to do is to melt the butter in a small pan first, then add honey, a tiny pinch of salt, and cook them for a minute while stirring. By cooking them, the honey and butter get to incorporate better than just mixing. You can sneak in a squeeze of lime or lemon juice, too; this will add a bit of freshness and tanginess to your sauce.
It can be seen in the ingredient list below that I’m going to use 3 tbsp of melted butter and only 2 tbsp of honey, and I won’t be cooking them at all. This is because I’m making a glaze for the biscuits and I want them to be a bit runny, so that more of the butter can soak into the biscuits and intensify the flavor.
‘Nuff said’. Roll up your sleeves and let’s bake.
Honey Butter Biscuits Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 410°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk blend and water. Mix to dissolve and set aside.
- Using a food processor, blend flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda for 2 seconds to combine. Then add cold vegetable shortening and 1 ½ tbsp cold butter. Pulse a couple of times to mix the fat in with the flour until you no longer see chunks of butter. Add the buttermilk blend from step 2, one tablespoon at a time, while pulsing on and off. Once the dough starts to clump together, transfer to a clean work surface.
- Using a bench scraper, gather the clumps and press into a rectangle. Lightly dust a rolling pin with flour and gently roll it out into 1-inch thick. Fold the dough in half. Gently roll it out and fold it in half again. Repeat 5 times. Finally roll the dough into a 4*8” rectangle, about ⅓-inch thick. Lightly flour a knife and cut the dough into 8 2*2” square pieces. Transfer biscuits to a lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining ½ tbsp butter and honey in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Once fully incorporated, turn off the heat and set aside.
- After 8 minutes, take the biscuits out of the oven. Brush with half of the honey butter sauce. Bake for 2 minutes. Remove the biscuits from the oven and brush with the remaining honey butter sauce. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and serve.