With our easy, homemade bread pudding recipe, you can make a delicious breakfast to indulge yourself at the start of a relaxing weekend. Bonus: it comes with the easiest caramel sauce you’ll ever make!
Can You Make Bread Pudding Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can.
You can save yourself some time in the morning by making the bread pudding the night before. All you do is follow steps 2 to 5 in the instructions below, and then put the baking tray into the fridge and go to bed.
Keep in mind that our recipe contains walnuts, and if you’re soaking the bread pudding overnight, these nuts may lose their crunchy texture. Here’s a solution: you can leave the nuts out and fold them into the pudding the next morning to retain the texture.
How Do You Know When a Bread Pudding Is Done?
We sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of our bread pudding, so it darkens the the surface of the pudding, making it harder to tell if it’s cooked. A good indication would be the change of color. The edges and surface of the pudding will transform into a golden brown hue as it cooks.
You can also check by removing the bread pudding from the oven and running a knife around the edge of the baking dish to see if it pulls away easily. If you think that it’s not yet done, bake it for another 5 minutes and check again.
What to Serve With Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is a dessert so it is usually served after the main course at dinner, which means that you may not need to pair it with anything.
However, we figure bread pudding could make a perfect breakfast for times when you wake up with a sweet tooth. That being said, the pudding wouldn’t make a whole meal on its own; it isn’t enough to fill you, and you would need a drink to wash it down. We suggest serving this bread pudding with a glass of icy homemade lemonade. This refreshing, sweet, and sour beverage goes well with almost anything.
Some interesting facts about lemons: these citrus fruits are packed with vitamin C. According to USDA Food Data, an average lemon of 58 grams contains 30.7 milligrams vitamin C, which is about 51% of your recommended daily intake. Vitamin C plays an important role in boosting the immune system. This antioxidant may help prevent various health conditions, including cancer and cardiovascular disease. A lemon drink in the morning is a great way to start your day on a strong and healthy note.
Our morning meal plan of bread pudding and lemonade is both healthy and delicious. We’ve given you the details below:
|Recipes||Course||Calories (kcal)||Saturated Fat (g)||Sodium (mg)|
|Bread Pudding||Breakfast, Main Course||469||6||296|
Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1.55 oz egg 1 medium
- 3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder divided
- 3 tbsp white sugar divided
- 6 oz baguette bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 oz apples diced
- 2 oz yellow raisins
- 3.1 oz walnuts roughly chopped
- 3/4 tbsp unsalted butter softened, plus more to butter the baking dish
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush a baking dish with softened unsalted butter or spray it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together the bread, apples, raisins, and chopped walnuts. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add egg, Greek yogurt, whole milk, 2 tbsp white sugar, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder. Whisk to combine. Pour this mixture into the bread and fold to distribute evenly.
- Put the soaked bread into the prepared baking dish. Pat it down gently with the back of a wooden spoon for a roughly even surface.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1 tbsp white sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top of the bread pudding. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel sauce: in a small saucepan, melt unsalted butter and brown sugar over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Once the sugar is completely dissolved, add heavy cream, turn off the heat, and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon. Allow the sauce to cool before use.
- Once the timer rings, remove the bread pudding from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes. Drizzle the sauce over the pudding and serve.