Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Prepare yourself for fall with this healthy pumpkin soup recipe. A wonderful, comforting soup to warm you as the days get chillier. It is so simple and will only take about 30 minutes to make. Plus it would be perfect for Thanksgiving this year!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 lb pumpkin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz onion chopped
- 2 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 1 tsp fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 oz sprouted wheat bread
Preheat the oven to 425 °F degrees.
Cut the pumpkin into cubes. Rub ½ tablespoon of olive oil over the flesh of pumpkin and chopped garlic. Then place them on the baking sheet. Roast for around 20 minutes or longer, until the flesh is easily pierced through with a fork.
In a deep skillet or pot, heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and pumpkin. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together garlic and parsley. Spread each side of the bread with garlic and parsley. Place bread on a baking sheet and toast at 425 °F for about 10 minutes or until bread is crisp.
Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth (or use an immersion blender). Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper.
Ladle into a bowl or deep dish. Garnish with parsley and serve with garlic bread.
- Be extra careful when handling hot soup or you’ll risk getting burnt. If you have an immersion blender, use it as it can be safer when blending hot soup. If you don’t, here are some safety tips when blending hot food in a blender:
- Do not close the lid tightly, but leave a small gap for the steam to escape.
- Only fill the jug of the blender half-way full or less because when you blend, the steam from the hot soup will push the lid open, which may cause the soup splashing out.
- Face the spout away from you: just in case the soup splashes out, it won’t hit you.
- Place a kitchen cloth over the lid to help hold the lid still while blending.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 473mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 9916IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1mg