Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Prepare yourself for fall with this healthy pumpkin soup recipe. A wonderful, comforting soup to warm you as the days get chillier. It is so simple and will only take about 30 minutes to make. Plus it would be perfect for Thanksgiving this year!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 servings
- 20 oz pumpkin raw
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 1 tsp parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz sprouted wheat bread
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
Cut the pumpkin into cubes. Place them in the steamer basket. Bring the water to boil and over the boiling water. Simmer the water for about 20 minutes. The pumpkin will be soft when cooked.
In a deep skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Add pumpkin to the skillet. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is fork-tender.
In a small bowl, mix together softened butter, garlic and parsley. Spread each side of the bread with garlic butter. Place bread on a baking sheet and toast at 425 °F for about 10 minutes or until bread is crisp.
Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth (or use an immersion blender). Stir in cream and season with salt.
Ladle into a bowl or deep dish. Garnish with parsley and serve with garlic bread.
- Be extra careful when handling hot soup or you’ll risk getting burnt. If you have an immersion blender, use it as it can be safer when blending hot soup. If you don’t, here are some safety tips when blending hot food in a blender:
- Do not close the lid tightly, but leave a small gap for the steam to escape.
- Only fill the jug of the blender half-way full or less because when you blend, the steam from the hot soup will push the lid open, which may cause the soup splashing out.
- Face the spout away from you: just in case the soup splashes out, it won’t hit you.
- Place a kitchen cloth over the lid to help hold the lid still while blending.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 604mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 12329IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg