I know this jambalaya recipe calls for many ingredients, but those are what you need to make a pot of delicious Creole rice stew. Share this aromatic pot of rice with your family at the next family gathering; I can assure you everyone will be amazed!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tbsp canola oil divided
- 5 oz smoked sausage cut into 1” pieces
- 4 oz skinless boneless chicken breast sliced into 1” chunks
- 10 oz onion 1 large, chopped
- 3.9 oz celery 2 stalks, chopped
- 5.3 oz green bell pepper 1 medium, diced
- 5.3 oz red bell pepper 1 medium, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic 4 cloves, crushed and minced
- 14 oz tomatoes 1 can, crushed
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning divided
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped okra
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper or to taste
- Chopped scallion to garnish
- Chopped parsley to garnish
How to make
Season the sausage and chicken with a pinch of salt and half of the Cajun seasoning.
In a large pot, heat up 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium heat. Add sausage to the pot and cook until browned. Once cooked, remove from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the remaining oil to the pot. Add the chicken and sear until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Preserve the oil in the pot.
Add onions, celery, and bell peppers; cook until softened. Add garlic and stir around for a minute or until fragrant.
Add crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, and all of the spices: salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, oregano, and the rest of Cajun seasoning.
Add the chicken and sausage back in the pot, along with okra. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
Add chicken broth and rice to the pot and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover and let it simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked, stirring every 5 minutes.
Add shrimp, stir gently, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked.
Taste and check for seasoning. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle over spring onions and parsley, and serve.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 519mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2811IU | Vitamin C: 71mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2mg