When you think about egg drop soup, you probably think of something hot and comforting, enough to warm your chilled self on a winter’s day. However, you can definitely enjoy this healthy soup during any season.
This soup is amazingly tasty. The chicken broth itself is flavorful with delicate sweetness coming from corn and shiitake mushroom, and a warmth of spice from sesame and soy sauce. It’s light on calories but full of fiber and protein and umami rich, which makes egg drop soup a great way to start your meal.
What Is Egg Drop Soup?
So, what is egg drop soup? Egg drop soup is a typical Chinese soup made of chicken broth, beaten egg and several interchangeable ingredients that can be added depending on your preference, such as seafood, vegetables, or meat. There are other variations of egg drop soup in many countries, such as tourin from France, or haferflockensuppe from Germany.
How Do You Make Flavorful Soup?
Use good-quality broth: some store-bought products deliver high sodium, so our advice is to look for low-sodium or unsalted broth. Or you can make your own, and freeze it until you’re ready to use it.
Sweat vegetables: simmering the vegetables over low heat allows them to steam in their own juices. This is a simple way to achieve a deeper savory flavor to the whole soup.
Season with soy sauce: soy sauce is rich in umami savory flavors. Adding it will turn even a plain soup into something moreish.
Add fresh herbs: adding fresh herbs like cilantro, basil, and parsley after your soup is cooked gives another level of flavor and helps marry the dish together.
Be creative: Like many soups, this luscious liquid is quite versatile. To boost the fiber content you can add other vegetables like bok choy or asparagus, they pair nicely with egg drop soup flavor. You can also use crab meat instead of shrimp in this recipe. For a vegetarian version, tofu is a great idea. Think about what you like and add extra ingredients to suit your taste buds.
Shrimp Egg Drop Soup Recipe
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; Purchases made via these links may benefit us at no additional cost to you. Read our Affiliate Disclosure.
- Fill a small pot with water and bring to a rolling boil. Drop shrimp in boiling water. Once the shrimp turns pink and floats to the top, remove them from the pot. Shell and devein shrimp.
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot. Stir-fry carrot, corn, peas, and mushrooms over low-medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth, shrimp, and salt. Cook over high heat and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Whisk until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Swirl into the soup and mix well with a spatula.
- To add egg, drizzle the beaten egg mixture slowly over the soup while stirring the soup with a whisk.
- Drizzle sesame oil, soy sauce. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with ground pepper and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thank you!