This oven baked chicken breast recipe will always be one of my all-time favourites. Five minutes’ prepping and 20 minutes into the oven have never failed me once. It’s great-looking, low-carb and kid-friendly. It’s simply irresistible!
So, I hope that this luscious baked chicken delicacy can also be an ally of yours on the family table.
How many calories in a 2 oz baked chicken breast
Chicken breasts are lean, high in protein, and super low-fat. According to USDA Food Data Central, 1 oz of grilled boneless skinless chicken breast normally provides nearly 43 calories. That means a 6-oz piece of grilled boneless skinless chicken breast gives you about 256, which is about 12% of an adult’s daily calorie need. If your cooked chicken breasts are served with the skin on, please note that you will have a larger content of fat, and consequently, extra calories.
Juiciness Is Everything
Now that we’ve established how nutritious chicken is, we now need to discuss how to cook it perfectly. Juiciness is the key to a successful batch of perfectly baked chicken breast (unlike other chicken-inspired meals like chicken pot pie or chicken salad sandwich, where the foundation lies in how you carry out the perfect combination among the ingredients).
Being naturally lean and protein-rich like it is, chicken breasts are easily prone to becoming dry and rubbery. Why does this happen?
When heated, the protein coils’ bonds that exist in raw meat will break, causing the coils to straighten out and link together in a loose mesh. So during cooking time, this mesh will keep on tightening more, leading to more liquid being squeezed out.
How Do You Keep The Chicken Moist When Baking?
There are several methods to keep your chicken from drying. The first method we’d like to mention is brining.
Brining is simply marinating the breasts in salted water. This very first step should take a max of 3 hours in your fridge, just so the meat can draw in enough water. The more liquid within, the more moisture it will have in cooking. Many home cooks prefer this method as it is foolproof and does not take much effort.
The second method is to cover the chicken. You can wrap the baking tray in aluminum foil and put it to bake. For today’s recipe, we put some lemon slices on top of the chicken breasts, and they turned out just as moist.
Another tip is to brush oil on the chicken. The thin layer of oil acts as a shield that traps the moisture inside the chicken, making it nice and juicy.
As you may (or possibly may not) know, many store-bought chicken breasts are already brined before being display on the shelf of your nearby grocery store. So, best advice – you should check the packaging to see whether you could skip this step or not.
Remember to pat your brined chicken breasts with a paper towel instead of rinsing them in running water. This is to prevent spreading germs from the raw meat onto other kitchen utensils. Washing other prepping equipment and your own hands is a must.
How Long Should Chicken Breasts Be Baked?
This chicken breasts recipe requires the meat to be cooked at 350℉ for 30 minutes in total, uncovered in the oven.
The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. If you want to make sure that your chicken is cooked, insert a meat thermometer at the thickest part of the chicken. The internal temperature of cooked chicken should be at least 165°F. If your chicken’s temperature is lower than that, put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes and then check again.
How to reheat baked chicken breasts
Leftover poultry is often prone to be dry and rubbery, especially after reheating, so the best way to carry out this act is to add liquid to your chicken (preferably chicken broth and leftover liquids, but even water can do).
Preheat the oven to 350℉. Wrap your chicken breasts in aluminum foil, then brush the liquid all over the surface, close the aluminum foil and put it to bake. Otherwise, simply pour the broth onto the dish with no foil cover. Leave the chicken in the oven for 20-25 minutes and there you have it! Your meat is ready to be served again.
What to Serve with Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
We recommend serving these lean chicken breasts with some crunchy, tangy salad on the side. Today’s pick for side dish is our very own broccoli salad.
Here are the nutrition facts of the whole meal:
|Oven Baked Chicken Breast||Main||457||7g||595mg|
|Broccoli Salad||Side Dish||243||2g||215mg|
That’s it for today’s quick and easy meal. I hope you have a great time cooking up this chicken breast recipe. Be sure to check out our easy healthy chicken recipes for more awesome chicken recipes that suit any of your occasions!
Healthy Oven Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 24 oz skinless boneless chicken breast 4 medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb russet potatoes 2 medium, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted, divided
- 1.5 oz lemon 4 slices
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 0.88 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley optional
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and oregano. Mix to make a spice blend. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts on baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut three-quarters of the way into the chicken breast to create a pocket on the side. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Season the chicken with one-third of the spice blend. Sprinkle evenly on the top and inside the pockets.
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken. Rub the oil into the pockets as well.
- Arrange potatoes around the chicken. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of melted unsalted butter over the potatoes and season them with half of the remaining spice blend. Toss to coat the seasoning evenly.
- Cover the baking pan in cling film and let the chicken and potatoes to marinate for 45 minutes.
- When the chicken has been marinating for 35 minutes, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- After 45 minutes, unwrap the pan of chicken and potatoes and put it in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven. Move the potatoes to one side of the pan.
- Put lemon slices on the chicken (this will help prevent the chicken from drying out).
- Arrange asparagus on the other side of the pan. Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon of melted butter and sprinkle the rest of the spice blend on the asparagus. Toss to coat the seasoning evenly.
- Put the pan back in the oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, take the pan out. Transfer the lemon slices to asparagus. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on the chicken and potatoes.
- Return the baking pan in the oven and bake for another 3 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Once the time is up, remove the chicken from the oven. Sprinkle chopped parsley. Allow to rest for 2-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and serve.