Today we would like to introduce you to our take on an easy beetroot and feta cheese salad.
For our recipe, we combine beetroot, orange, arugula, walnuts, and feta cheese with a simple olive oil dressing. Arugula can sometimes be pungent and spicy but it is mellowed with the help of the beetroot and walnuts. The oranges join the harmony of flavors as they burst with sweet and tangy juices in every bite. The sharp feta cheese adds a nice touch of saltiness and creaminess— helping to balance the taste of the salad.
The salad also has a lot of contrasting textures: the crunch from the arugula and walnuts, the tender beets, the soft cheese, and the bubbly orange pulp. This adds to the interest and enjoyment of the salad. Textures aside, all the ingredients in this recipe have vibrant colors to make it look both appealing and mysterious. All that together boosts the deliciousness of the salad and brings a delectable gastronomic experience to eaters.
But before we get to make this delightful beetroot and feta cheese salad, let’s learn how to properly prepare beetroot.
How Do You Prepare Beetroot?
Like all vegetables, beetroot need to be prepped before they can go into any dish. Simply do as follows:
- Cut off the stems, green leaves, and tails of the beetroot.
- Scrub the beets thoroughly under running water to wash off all the dirt.
- Peel the beets with a peeler just as you would with carrots or potatoes.
If you plan to bake them, you can skip the last step. The skin itself has an interesting texture when cooked and could enhance the overall texture of the beet.
Now that you know how to prep your beetroot, it’s time to make a beetroot and feta cheese salad. And if you’re interested in other healthy salads, we have a new and improved macaroni salad recipe just for you.
Beetroot and Feta Cheese Salad Recipe
- 10.5 oz baby beetroot peeled
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2.6 oz baby arugula
- 9.8 oz oranges 2 medium, peeled and separated into wedges (we recommend a sweet variety such as Navel)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley optional
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; Purchases made via these links may benefit us at no additional cost to you. Read our Affiliate Disclosure.
- Put beetroot in a pot. Fill the pot with water until the beets are submerged. Turn the heat on high and bring the pot to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes or until they are tender.
- Drain and allow the beetroot to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut the beetroot into thin wedges and set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk salt, black pepper, and olive oil to make the dressing.
- Put oranges, beetroot, chopped walnuts, and feta cheese in a big bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat evenly.
- Arrange a bed of arugula on a serving plate and put the mixed veggies on top. Sprinkle with chopped parsley to garnish and serve.
- We cut the beetroot into thin wedges but you can cut it thicker or slice it as you desire.
- We recommend personalizing the recipe to your liking. For example, you can:
- Sprinkle some grated orange zest to garnish. The zest will give the dish a fresh, citrusy flavor.
- Add orange juice to the dressing. The tangy dressing should give the dish more depth of flavor.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thank you!